SQL Server administration and T-SQL development, Web Programming with ASP.NET, HTML5 and Javascript, Windows Phone 8 app development, SAP Smartforms and ABAP Programming, Windows 7, Visual Studio and MS Office software

Development Forums for Programmer, Administrators and Users

Development resources, articles, tutorials, code samples and tools and downloads for ASP.Net, SQL Server, R Script, Windows, Windows Phone, AWS, SAP HANA and ABAP, like SAP UI5, Screen Personas, etc.

Report Builder : C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.5\bin\crexcel_en.xla' could not be found

Last post 01-01-2008, 12:53 AM by jafer. 5 replies.
Sort Posts:
  •  03-30-2006, 1:42 AM 322

Report Builder : C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.5\bin\crexcel_en.xla' could not be found

I have created a Model for the Reporting Services Report Builder in order to use it to build custom reports.

While trying to to open a report which was exported in Excel file format from Microsoft Report Builder, MS SQL Server Reporting Services 2005, I'm getting an error message which is informing about the missing file crexcel_en.xla

Although the MS Excel shows the error, it can open the exported report by the Report Builder successfully.

The message text is as follows:

Microsoft Excel

'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.5\bin\crexcel_en.xla' could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct.

If you are trying to open the file from your list of most recently used files on the File menu, make sure that the files has not been renamed, moved, or deleted.

Does any one have any idea about the reason for this error message in the MS Excel?

•  10-31-2006, 2:31 PM 458 in reply to 322

Re: Report Builder : C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.5\bin\crexcel_en.xla' could not be found

I had the same issue. Here is what fixed it.

Close all Microsoft Office products. Excel, Word and Outlook.

Click on “Start” then “Run”, type in ‘regedit”.

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Office \

Here rename 10.0 to Old10.0, 11.0 to Old11.0, 8.0 to Old8.0.

Open excel and VOILA...

•  11-03-2006, 9:42 AM 463 in reply to 458

Re: Report Builder : C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.5\bin\crexcel_en.xla' could not be found

Thanks alot down4muks.

Your recipe worked successfully for my case.

But I have one thing that I wonder, by renaming the 10.0, 11.0, and 8.0 we let only the 9.0 Key Name kept as original. But the working Excel version is displayed as 11.8105.8107 on the About screen of the Excel. It is an Excel 2003 SP2.

This confused me a little.

But changing the Key Names solved my problem.

Thanks a lot.

Eralper

•  11-29-2006, 1:05 AM 479 in reply to 463

Eralper,

I think it might be a bit extreme renaming the entire office registry settings. This has lots of good stuff in it like recently opened file lists, screen position and sizes, etc.

What I found worked was simply deleting the data in the Excel / Options / OPEN setting (this was instructing Excel to open the crexcel_en.xla file every time Excel started). You only have to do this for the latest version of Office (i.e. 11.0). I assume the older versions are defunct.

Slayer.

•  11-30-2006, 9:30 AM 481 in reply to 479

Hi,

You mean editing the value of registry key named OPEN at MyComputer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Options

It contains the data "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.5\bin\crexcel_en.xla"

There is an other key named OPEN1 also in the same place with the same value.

•  01-01-2008, 12:53 AM 766 in reply to 479

• jafer is not online. Last active: 01-04-2008, 10:00 PM jafer
    • Joined on 01-01-2008

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.5\bin\crexcel_en.xla' could not be found

Hi everybody,

When i am importing Excel file into my application it shows the error "crexcel_en.xla file read-only.or it is encrypted".this message is coming when i am loging as a normal user.there is no error when i am logging in as development access.actually there is no access restrictions to do for excel files.if anybody having the solution for this ,please reply this.

regards

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2004 - 2020 Eralper YILMAZ. All rights reserved.
Community Server by Telligent Systems